Saturday, July 28, 2012

Project TubroGrafx-16


Growing up I had a Sega Master System and a Sega Genesis.  I also had several friends with Nintendo's.  But there was another video game console from this era I've never played; heck, I've never even seen one in person - the NEC TurboGrafx-16.  This system failed to gain acceptance in the early 90s, and it quickly faded into history.  But I've always wanted to play one.  Recently I decided to try and find one, and eBay seemed an obvious place to start.  I quickly learned that because this system didn't sell well that means they are rare, which translates into higher prices.  On eBay it's not uncommon for a used system to sell for upwards of $80.  But with some patience I was eventually able to score a "broken" TG-16 with 2 games for only $20.

Just as I had "Project Genesis" where I repaired and modded a Sega Genesis, this is Project TG-16 where I repair and mod a TG-16.  The plan is to repair the TG-16, perform some preventative maintenance, after which I will add a number of mods to the system to improve upon the original design.  I'm going to add an audio/video mod, a power LED mod, and a reset button mod.  I will document each step along with way with pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment