Friday, March 8, 2013

Sci-Fi Review - Star Trek: The Next Generation

Continuing my Star Trek review, this time I wanted to talk about Star Trek: The Next Generation (herein referred to as just "TNG").  I would have to say that TNG is my favorite TV show of all time!  This show ran from 1987 - 1994, the golden years of my childhood if you will.  I was an impressionable 12 when TNG started.  I'll admit, I first started watching the show because it was set in space and had great special effects.  It was only after I grew up that I realized this show had everything from a well rounded cast, great acting, and superb writing.

Speaking of the cast, I'd like to briefly talk about each of the characters.  Starting at the top you have Captain Picard.  Let's face it, Picard is great because of the incredible acting of Patrick Stewart.  He played this role so perfectly.  Picard is confident and strong, and yet knows his weaknesses.  He is the perfect person to lead the show.  Second in command is William Riker - and here I have mixed feelings.  My problem isn't with Jonathan Frakes acting ability - more the character bio.  Riker is portrayed as a "ladies man."  Just as I didn't care for this attribute in Kirk, I don't like it in Riker.

Next you have Commander Data who was by far my favorite character period!  I loved the fact he was an android, no emotion and all logic.  Yet with a poor grasp of humor and social interactions.  Who knows, maybe this character resonated with me because of traits I see in myself.  Anyway, Brent Spiner played this character perfectly.  Some of my favorite episodes are Data-centered.  After Data you've got Geordi La Forge.  I always liked Geordi and his ability to diagnose and fix problems.  I think one reason I liked Geordi was because later in life I would get a Bachelors of Science in Engineering, although at the time TNG was running I had no idea I would become an engineer.  So inside I had the tendencies of an engineer but I didn't realize it yet.

The character of Worf never really spoke to me.  Obviously as a Klingon he's portrayed as more of the "don't think just smash it" mentality which is definitely not me.  I think Michael Dorn did a great job playing the role, and he has a commanding voice.  Even though his character was far from my favorite, he did provide some great comic relief.  The part where Q asks Worf if he's "eating any good books lately?" for example.

The ships doctor, Beverly Crusher, was a strong but caring female role.  I liked her character and I felt like she deserved more screen time and plots centered around her.  On the flip side you have Deanna Troi.  Whine, whine, whine.  Easily my least favorite character and the one I could do without.  And frequently when you have a Deanna episode you have her mother Lwaxana Troi - easily my least favorite reoccurring character.  There's just something about these two characters that make them so annoying to me.

Beyond the characters, TNG had some incredible visual effects.  They still look good today, which is saying a lot when you consider this show is 20 years old not to mention this was a weekly TV show with a limited budget.  I believe this is largely due to the fact that all space scenes were shot using models (this was before CGI took over).  For the longest time CGI space ships looked very fake.  They've since advanced to the point where it looks as good (or better than) models.  But back in the last 80s and into the 90s, shows could either use primitive CGI or real models.  Models were more expensive to make and shoot, but provided a more realistic show.  To go with the visuals you have the audio.  TNG (and all Star Trek series for that matter) is one of the few shows that uses a full orchestral audio recording.  Which is funny because when you think about "orchestral music in a TV show" you think that's not for me.  But it was perfectly executed and when you watch an episode you don't even realize it's there, but if it were missing you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

The writing staff on TNG was one of the best having produced many well-written episodes.  My favorites were "The Inner Light," "Data's Day," "Starship Mine," and "Times Arrow."

I could literally go on for days about TNG.  Such a great show with a lasting legacy.  I own all seasons on DVD and watch them end to end every couple of years.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review. What's funny is that I started watching TNG because I noticed that LeVar Burton was on it. I had remembered him from Reading Rainbow and loved him as the host.

    I agree with your analysis, but you forgot Wesley Crusher played by Wil Wheaton! Not my most favorite character, but he was also heavily under utilized.

    ReplyDelete