Monday, August 18, 2014

Raspberry Pi DVR - Hardware

To continue my chain of posts, after some research in the hardware necessary to turn a Raspberry Pi into a DVR I purchased the hardware.  Below is what I ordered:

Raspberry Pi model B+

Obviously the most important piece is the Raspberry Pi itself.  For this I went with the newly released model B+.  The model B+ has the exact same CPU, graphics core, RAM, and networking as previous models.  Where the model B+ really shines is the extra USB ports and improved power.  The improved power circuitry means I should be able to avoid using an external hub (pretty much required on all previous models) and also consumes less electricity so it costs less to run.

SD card

For the micro SD card I went with a 16GB Samsung EVO micro SD card.  I chose those card because it's rated as one of the fastest micro SD cards available, so that should help to speed up the Pi.

Power supply

In order to take advantage of the model B+'s improved power circuitry to power USB devices without a hub, you need a sufficiently powerful micro USB power adapter - specifically you want one that can deliver at least 2 amps of power.  I went with this adapter, it got great reviews and was relatively cheap.

TV tuner

Probably the hardest part about this project is the TV tuner.  You need a "stick" USB tuner to be able to receive TV signals.  But TV tuners and Linux don't seem to play well together.  There aren't many TV tuners on the market to begin with, and even fewer that work with Linux.  What's more, where you are in the world will dictate what type of tuner you need.  Most of the world uses DVB-T, but North America uses ATSC.  So shop for a tuner accordingly.  In the end, I went with the Haupauge 950Q.  New this item costs $70, but I purchased a used one on eBay for less than half that.  Before selecting your tuner you might want to read this list of TV tuners known to work in Linux, and this list of hardware known to work with the Raspberry Pi.

WiFi adapter

Although the Pi has built-in ethernet, I want to locate the Pi far from my router.  So I'll need a USB wireless adapter.  As with TV tuners, it's important to find one that works with Linux and/or the Pi.  Here's a list of hardware known to work with the Rapberry Pi.  I went with the Rosewill RNX-N180UBE.  I chose this model for several reasons.  First, the large antenna should provide a good signal from the garage.  Second, it was listed as working out of the box with the Raspberry Pi (less setup headache).  And finally, it's listed as an N300 adapter for greater speed.  However, I'm disappointed on this last one.  After receiving the adapter the manual clearly states the download stream is N300 but the upload speed is N150.  I thought I was mislead by Newegg/Rosewill, but after reading the product specs online closer it does say this.  So the fault is my own.  This is still the adapter I want. I just wish it were N300 both directions.

Heatsinks

From what I can tell, the Pi does not need heatsinks.  And it sounds like heatsinks will only lower the temperature by a couple of degrees.  That said, I did purchase a set of copper heatsinks.  In all my years of working on computers I've never experimented with overclocking nor heatsinking options.  So I'm going to experiment on the Pi with those.  And it's that the whole idea behind the Pi - to experiment, learn, and have fun?

Case
Technically the Pi doesn't need a case.  But it's a good idea, if for no other reason than to prevent shorts against metal.  I haven't purchased my case yet, but I like the look of this case.

HDMI cable
I do have several 6' HDMI cables, but I wanted something shorter.  So I purchase this 3 pack of 3' HDMI cables from amazon.

Keyboard, mouse, and monitor
Fortunately I have plenty of spare keyboards, mice, and monitors to choose from.  You will at least need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor for initial boot.  After that you can remotely connect to the Pi eliminating the need for these.  So you probably don't want to buy this hardware for a project, just borrow them from another use for a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment