Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pier Solar

Today I wanted to talk about a new game for the Sega Genesis. Yes, you read that correctly, a new game was released for the Sega Genesis in 2011. It's called Pier Solar.

Arguably one of the genres Sega did the best at was RPGs (or role-playing/adventure games). The Phantasy Star series was incredibly. A group of fans decided to create their own RPG for the Genesis. As I understand it they worked on this game for 5 years or more before completing it. But this isn't just another hack, they went the full nine yards. The game is by far the largest game ever on the Sega Genesis, 64MB versus I think 4MB for Super Street Fighter II (the next largest game). If you own the Sega CD attachment you can pop in a CD for enhanced sound and audio. All and all the game is awesome! They even created packaging, manuals, physical cartridge production, and translated the game into multiple languages.

Obviously this is going to be a very limited production run. The game was sold on their webpage for $55 (not bad considering Phantasy Star games cost more than that back in the 1990s). As of now the game is no longer for sale, I'm guessing they sold out and who knows if they will produce more. You can buy them on eBay. This game is sure to become a collectors item because of it's rarity and uniqueness.

I purchased my copy, although as of yet I haven't opened the packaging. I've been too busy to play it, so for now I'll keep it unopened.


No comments:

Post a Comment