Thursday, February 2, 2012

Project Genesis

No, I'm not making some obscure reference to Star Trek II / III. No, "Project Genesis" refers to the latest project on my workbench.


I recently purchased a Sega Genesis off eBay for a whopping 99 cents, and it included a controller plus Sonic 2. Why was it so cheap? Simple, because it was being sold as "broken." This is the perfect project for me. I can work on it, have fun tinkering with it, and in the end if I can't fix it or if I break it even further, no big loss. This project is purely for fun as I already have a working Sega CDX.

My plan on this project will be in three distinct phases; 1) repair, 2) maintenance, and 3) modding. The repair phase is obvious, I hope to repair it and return it to working order. In the maintenance phase I am going to clean it up and make it good to go for another 20+ years. And finally I plan to "mod" the Genesis by adding S-video output. Each of these phases will be documented here and I'll include lots of pictures along the way.

Before I get started, I should say there are tons of different Sega Genesis models out there (or Sega Mega Drive for those who live outside North America). There was the original model 1, the model 2, and also the model 3. Each version was smaller than the previous. This is a model 1 Sega Genesis. Also, within each model there are different revisions. Specifically mine is the "VA6" model.




Below you can follow along with the next posts in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment