Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Is Thunderbird going to die?

Mozilla announced yesterday that their email client Thunderbird would no longer receive major updates.  This doesn't mean Thunderbird is dead, just that they will only fix security issues going forward.  So in the short term Thunderbird will still live, but it's only a matter of time before it becomes so outdated that it's not worth using.

Mozilla's justification for this is a lack of interest in Thunderbird.  They say most people use web-based email access.  Who are these idiots out there checking their email using web-based programs, at least from a desktop computer?  Seriously, if you are using the native web-based UI for services like gmail, hotmail, etc., give Thunderbird a try.  It's a LOT better, not to mention more secure.  The only time I use the web-based interface is if I'm checking my email from a friend's computer.

This really frustrates me because Thunderbird is my email client of choice.  When it comes time to find a new client, I'm not sure what I'm going to switch to.  If anyone can recommend a good standalone email client for Windows please do so.  The client must support IMAP as well as POP3.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same predicament as you are. At work we use IMAP with Thunderbird and it's my client of choice. Although truthfully it really hasn't received any major features for at least the last 3-4 versions. I'll stick with it as long as feasible, but eventually I'll have to find something as well. Not sure what though.

    Did MS get rid of the free windows mailer? I haven't used Windows in quite some time, so I'm not sure what's available.

    ReplyDelete