Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Top 15 Sega Master System Games



One of the things I really enjoy is retro or old-school gaming. I thought it would be fun to post my favorite games from retro gaming consoles. And what better place to start than the Sega Master System (SMS).

Technically the SMS wasn't the first gaming console I owned as my family had an Atari 2600. But the SMS was definitely the system were I fell in love with gaming. Not a lot of people played the SMS, by far the Nintendo Entertainment System was more popular. This was a shame too because the Sega has vastly superior hardware. I owned maybe 20 SMS games, but with friends and rentals I've probably played about 100 SMS games. Here are my top 15 SMS games.

15. Rastan

Rastan is a side-scrolling platform game. You use a sword or an axe to hack and slice your enemies.

14. Miracle Warriors

This is an early role playing game (RPG) on the SMS. I never owned this game but I borrowed it from a friend. I regret I never finished this game, I only completed about half the game.

13. Y's: The Vanished Omens

Another RPG for the SMS. This one is looks much better than Miracle Warriors. Again, I didn't own this game but borrowed it. This game definitely is challenging, but it's fun.

12. Penguin Land

This game probably doesn't make a lot of people's "top game lists." It's very unique game, probably one of the first puzzle games out there.

11. Kung Fu Kid

This game is short and easy to beat, but it's so fun it keeps me coming back for more. But aren't those the best games, the ones you can't put down?

10. Fantasy Zone II

I think I rented this game back in the day. A very simple game, but it's fun to shoot enemies, collect money, and buy upgrades. Hours of fun to be found here.

9. Astro Warrior

Astro Warrior is a horizontal scrolling shooter on the SMS, and one of the best. It has simple power-ups. The only problem with this game is the difficulty. If you die you start over with no power-ups and you're as good as done.

8. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

This was the first Alex Kidd game, and in my opinion the best. This is platforming at its best on the SMS.

7. Wonder Boy

Another side-scrolling platform game. It has a lot of levels and gets very difficult towards the end.

6. Space Harrier

Space Harrier is one of Sega's arcade classics. Obviously the SMS version is nothing compared to the arcade, but this game does a great job of showing what the SMS hardware can do. In a day when consoles had a hard time doing 2D games, this game pulls off 3D.

5. R-Type

I never played arcade games as a kid, I chose to save my quarters and buy games for home consoles. R-Type is a classic side-scrolling space shooter.

4. Zillion

Zillion is part maze, part puzzle, and all action. It's hard to describe this game, other than to say it's a lot of fun. I use to spend hours drawing maps of the underground base.

3. Wonder Boy in Monster Land


This installment of Wonder Boy ventures away from pure platforming and adds story and RPG elements. It's a great game, but I have to admit the last castle is very hard... probably too hard. I don't think I ever beat this game.

2. Golvellius: Valley of Doom

What can I say about Govellius, except WOW! This game has great graphics and awesome sound. This game might have the best sound of any game on the SMS. I'm told this game is like Zelda on the NES, but I can't confirm that because I've never played Zelda. But it doesn't matter, Govellius is an awesome game with a large map to explore.

And my favorite Sega Master System game is...

1. Phantasy Star

Phatasy Star is ground breaking in so many ways. It's credited as adding sci-fi elements to RPG games. It also introduces 3D first person perspective in the dungeons, years before Castle Wolfenstein on the PC. The story line pulls you in and the game play keeps you hooked. This game is huge, spaning 3 planets. The graphics and the music are incredible (for the time).

1 comment: