Monday, December 31, 2012

Freezing Skim Milk

One of my favorite things in life is milk.  There's nothing like a tall glass of cold milk.  And one of the worst things is wasted milk.  We recently left town for the holidays, but the day we left I still had several cartons of milk in the fridge.  They were going to be bad by the time we got back, we couldn't take it with us, and I can't drink that much milk before we left.  So I Googled to see if you could freeze milk.  A lot of people said it worked, but that it changed the texture of the milk, giving it a grainy texture.  But these people also said that it was the fat in the milk that caused this.  Well I drink fat free (a.k.a. skim) milk.  With no fat it should be fine, right?  I figured it was worth a try.

I put the milk in the freezer for the week we were gone.  When I got home I put it back into the fridge.  It ended up taking 2 days to completely thaw.  But the important question, what did it taste like?  It tasted like it always does.  I couldn't taste a difference, the texture was the same.  So as far as I'm concerned, if you need to freeze skim milk it comes out fine in the end.  Maybe if you freeze it for more than a week problems develop (such as funky flavors from the freezer).  Also, make sure the container you freeze in has enough head room as most liquids expand when you freeze them.

No comments:

Post a Comment