Wednesday, September 17, 2014

uBlock for Chrome - Give it a try

One great thing about Firefox and Chrome is their extensive libraries of add-ons, plugins, extensions (whatever you want to call them).  I do not install many, but the ones I do install I could not imagine "surfing" without them.  One of my long time favorites is AdBlock Plus.  This plugin does a great job of blocking many of the ads we are bombarded with on a regular basis.

I just found an even better alternative to AdBlock Plus.  It is called uBlock (micro-block).  uBlock does the same thing as AdBlock Plus, in fact it uses the same lists and filters as AdBlock Plus.  But what sets uBlock apart is how efficient it is.  The authors wanted to create an ad blocker that is A) as fast as possible, B) as memory efficient as possible, and C) as clean and simple as possible.  And they succeeded!  uBlock is fast, simple, and unobtrusive.

The only downside with uBlock is it is currently a Chrome only plugin, there is no Firefox plugin.  I really hope they come out with a Firefox version.  But in the meantime, all Chrome users should add this plugin to their system and reap the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment