Tuesday, July 19, 2011

USB Controllers for NES/Sega Master System

In my last post I talked about emulators. If you decide to play retro games using emulators then you need a good controller. Playing video games like Sonic and Mario using a keyboard just doesn't cut it. You can use any controller, but there's something about having the right controller for the game. Playing with an authentic controller just completes the retro gaming experience. But controllers from consoles like the NES and Genesis don't work on a computer, so what are you to do. Here are my recommendations:

The NES and Sega Master System controllers aren't that dissimilar. But given the choice I'd take the NES controller. And if you're using an emulator it doesn't matter which you use. So how do you get an NES controller with a USB interface?

1. RetroZone sells a kit to convert your existing NES controller into a USB controller. Note: requires soldering experience.

2. RetroZone also sells genuine NES controllers which they've already converted to USB.

3. RetroZone offers a cord adapter that allows you to plug in any NES controller into one end, and on the other end it has a USB interface. Gives you a USB controller without any modifications to the controller.

4. eBay user "infiniteneslives" sells genuine NES controllers converted to USB. This is the same as RetroZone, but his prices can be a little better.

5. The final option is a new product from Tomee. They make a brand new NES controller with a USB interface. But beware, the company must be Tomee. There are other companies out there and their controllers get very poor reviews!

1 comment:

  1. can i use an nes controller (usb with adapter) to play a sega master system game using a sega master system emulator?
    I use FCEUX to play NES games and I down loaded "Fusion" as a Sega Master System emulator, so basically I am wondering if there is a way I can use my NES controller on a Sega Master System controller, both controllers are basically the same, but I can't seem to get the game to recognize my NES controller when I try to configure it it using the "Fusion" "config controller" even though in the list it shows (NES CONTROLLER USB) In the list

    ReplyDelete