Friday, July 8, 2011

Top 20 Sega Genesis Games



I previously posted my top 15 Sega Master System games. To follow up on that here are my top 20 Sega Genesis games. I increased the number from 15 to 20 for several reasons. First, the Sega Genesis had a much larger game library. Also, I included the Sega CD with the Genesis, so I felt it was only fair to increase the number of games in my list. Below is 11-20 and I'll do a second post with the top 10.

20. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Castle of Illusion is a great example of what the Genesis could do. This game has smooth animations, greats graphics and sound, and very fun game play. Even though you think of Mickey Mouse as a child's game, it's a fun game for all ages.

19. Gaiares

The Genesis was known for great shoot 'em up games, and Gaiares is one of the best. Great music and graphics. It has a unique weapon system, you target your drone onto the enemies and you can "acquire" their weapon. Gaiares is definitely one of the harder shoot 'em up games I've played.

18. Revenge of Shinobi

Revenge of Shinobi makes the list despite being incredibly difficult, I would say it's too difficult. If it weren't for the cheat that allows you to have unlimited throwing stars this game would be dang near impossible. But it's still fun to play.

17. Road Rash II

Every old console had racing games. Harder to find were motorcycle racing games. But that's not what sets this game apart. You race on a motorcycle, and you can punch and kick the other racers. This takes "road rage" to a new level. Road Rash II is the second of three games on the Genesis. I think it's the best of the three. The graphics aren't the best, and the sound is very "rough" for lack of a better description. But this game is definitely a blast to play.

16. Space Harrier II

I don't know why I like this game so much. Probably because of its simplicity. Repeatedly mash the button to fire and dodge the columns and weapons fire. This might have been a favorite game from my childhood because it's one of the first games to offer pretty good 3D effects.

15. Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Sonic CD isn't that different from the Sonic cartridge games. But that's a good thing since those are such great games. Sonic CD does offer incredible music the other games can't touch, and by using the Sega CD hardware their is a 3D level which was impressive for its time.

14. Strider

I never owned this game, but I borrowed it from a friend many times. I remember thinking the graphics of this game were some of the best on the Genesis. The game play is top-notch as well. The only downside is this game suffers from slow down, I guess it was just a little too much for the Genesis to handle.

13. Golden Axe / Golden Axe II

While technically 2 games, they are so similar I grouped them into one. The original Golden Axe is an excellent port of the arcade hit, and the sequel offers some refined game play and options. Both great games, especially if you have a friend to join you.

12. Ecco the Dolphin / Ecco: The Tides of Time

Again, two games combine into one for my purposes as the two are so very similar. I wanted to talk a little more about Ecco than the other games. Ecco is, in my opinion, probably the must underrated game on the Genesis. I think many people are turned off thinking the game is a save-the-whales eco-friendly game. That's not what this game is about at all. At it's heart this game is a puzzle game, and a dang good one too! Some of the puzzles are incredibly challenging and fun to solve. If you're going to play this game you must play it on the Sega CD. The accompanying CD music is AWESOME! The music is so awesome I literally listen to is as a sound track... still to this day almost 20 years later.

11. Wonder Boy in Monster World

Wonder Boy in Monster World is probably classified as an "action/adventure" game. It has elements of an adventure game, but with tons of action. This game has a very unique artistic style which set it apart from other games of the time. It also offered some of the best music on the Genesis.


Please continue onto page 2 for the top 10.

1 comment:

  1. I love this list. Any list that includes Ecco the Dolphin -- I haven't thought about that game in YEARS. My favorite ever. Not sure if you're interested BUT I found a pretty comprehensive list of all the Sega Genesis games here:

    http://www.ranker.com/list/sega-genesis-games-list-of-games-on-genesis-console/video-games-by-console

    It was fun going through and finding other gems, even the ones that don't always make the "best of" lists!

    ReplyDelete