Friday, November 11, 2011

Stupid ISP

For the longest time I've had this unusual email problem at home. My work email account, I can read my email but I could not send emails. If I take my laptop into the office and connect to the Internet there I can read and send emails. So the problem isn't my computer, the problem is my network at home.

I finally decided to research this and found the problem. It turns out a lot of ISPs block port 25 which is the standard port for sending emails. They do this to cut down on the amount of spam being sent from their network. I understand wanting to cut down on spam, but it would have been nice if they told me they were blocking this port.

So what do you do if you're in a similar situation? I can only think of two possible situations. First, check to see if your email provider offers a second port through which emails can be sent (my provider offered this). The only other solution I can think of is to create a VPN tunnel into a different network (e.g. office network) that doesn't block port 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment