Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Market Share

I saw an interesting article the other day on the market share of various computer manufactures over the past several years.  There were some surprising things in there.  I'm a very visual person so I think the included graphs appealed to my visual side.

Some of the more interesting points were...

  • In the US the 5 largest computer manufactures are Acer, Apple, Dell, HP, and Toshiba.

  • Worldwide the 5 largest computer manufactures are Acer, Dell, HP,  Lenovo, and Toshiba.

  • In the US, HP is the largest, then Dell, then Acer, then Toshiba, and then Apple.

  • Worldwide, HP is the largest, then Acer, then Dell, then Lenovo, and then Toshiba.

  • Over the last 5 years all companies increased market share except Dell and Apple which lost market share.

  • Dell's market share in the US is 25% whereas it only has a 12% share worldwide.


Some of these statistics were surprising to me.  I never realized Dell was big in the US but not the world.  Also, I never would have guessed HP outsells Dell.

I was also surprised to see how big and how fast Acer has grown.  For those who don't know, Acer now owns Gateway, Packard Bell, and eMachines.  At the rate Acer is growing (and the rate Dell is losing ground), Acer will overtake Dell for the number 2 spot in the US in a few short years.

Here is one of the graphs from that article.

No comments:

Post a Comment