Monday, June 27, 2011

Useful utilities - GIMP

Today's useful utility is the GNU Image Manipulation Program (or GIMP for short), which is a free image-editing utility. Gimp is on par with Adobe Photoshop, except Gimp is free. But I will warn you, Gimp is not for the faint of heart. Image editing is a very complex task, it's not like opening an image in paint. You need to become comfortable with layer, masks, etc. So Gimp, just like Photoshop, has a steep learning curve. But once you learn how to use Gimp you can do some very powerful things.

Here's a quick and dirty example of what you can do with Gimp. Here's a random picture I found on the Internet. As you can see it's all washed out, the picture was over exposed. The second image is after I edited it with Gimp.





You can see the image is much better. The background is still washed out, but the subject in the foreground is not. My editing of this image was very quick, I'm sure if you took more time editing you could clean it up even more.

In addition to image editing, Gimp can be used to create images from scratch. Here is an image I recently created as an icon/logo for a program.



If you've been looking for a powerful image editor, I strongly encourage you to download Gimp and be patient during the learning process. If you're just looking for a program to remove red-eye from your photos, you probably want to look elsewhere as I think Gimp will overwhelm you.

Gimp is available for just about every platform, Windows, Mac, Linux, 32-bit, 64-bit, etc.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, GIMP is NOT on par with Adobe Photoshop my friend, you are sadly mistaken if you think that is true. Maybe near par with Photoshop CS2 (not even that actually) but most certainly not anywhere close to the new Photoshop. As a person who have experience with both these programs I can honestly say that you are nuts in thinking that GIMP is on par with Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I've used Photoshop. Admittedly I overstated things when I claimed they were "on par." My point is that Gimp is pretty damn good, and free! Adobe Photoshop CS5 costs $650 on newegg. If you're a professional graphic artist, I'm sure you would only use Photoshop. But if you're just beginning, or if you only do light to medium editing, I say save the $650 and use Gimp.

      Delete
  2. True, for someone who just wants to lightly edit and improve their photos GIMP is more than enough. But yeah for serious graphic work Photoshop will be needed. I entered the editing world with GIMP but for all my graphic design work I actually use Adobe After Effects the most (weird as it may sound), I have more control in there than Photoshop will ever have.

    ReplyDelete