Thursday, June 23, 2011

Useful Utilities - Freezerware

Today's useful utilities seems a little self-serving. That's because it's utilities written by me. Over the years I've written tons of little programs for my own use. After the number reached several dozen it dawned on me that others might find these programs useful as well, so I created a web page and provide them for download. Initially all the programs were command line tools, but eventually I added some GUI programs.

If you're wondering about the name "Freezerware." It's a combination of Freezer (my nickname) and "ware" as in freeware and software. Over the years certain programs have proven to be more popular. Those tools are:

ARP++ - ARP++ is the Windows Add/Remove Programs but on steroids. Years ago I discovered some programs install such that you cannot remove them with Windows ARP. Still other programs hide themselves from Windows ARP. ARP++ shows you all programs it can find installed on your system, and let's you uninstall them all.

Briscola - In high-school a friend taught me an Italian card game called Briscola. It's a lot of fun, but sadly I couldn't find any versions of it for the computer. Well that's not true, I found one version in Italian only. So I decided to write my own version. Give it a try, the rules are included in the help file.

PasswordSpy - PasswordSpy uses a design flaw in Windows to reveal passwords behind the "****" It works in most programs and on most versions of Windows, but sometimes there are passwords you cannot reveal using this tool.

ZoomIn - ZoomIn is, as the name implies, a screen magnifier. It's nothing more than the Microsoft tool of the same name (included in the Platform SDK) with a lot of improvements and fixes. I added features like a grid, RGB color display, the ability to copy or save the result as a BMP, etc.

Thank you for letting me toot my own horn. Look over the tools, there are a lot and hopefully you'll might find some that are useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment