Thursday, June 23, 2011

Processors powerful enough?

I know not everyone will agree with me, but I think computers have become more powerful than the needs of the average user. I think most people use a computer to surf the web, check email, word processing, and maybe watch movies/videos. None of these tasks require a quad core processor running at 2 GHz and 4 GB of system memory. In fact, you can do all these tasks with a significantly less powerful machine.

Don't misunderstand me, there is a place for powerful machines. If you play 3D games, edit videos and/or images, run CAD programs, write code, etc. you have need for a powerful system. But in my opinion anyone who buys a Core iX system and only checks email and surfs the web on it wasted money. I personally love the trend Intel and AMD are making. Introducing less powerful processors which use less electrical power and are cheaper to manufacture. The Intel Atom is a prime example. This processor is powerful enough for what most people do with a computer, yet uses around 10 watts of electricity. They use so little electricity in fact the CPU is passively cooled. Yes the Atom was designed for netbooks but I'm glad to see manufactures created nettops to bring this hardware segment to home computers.

It's like Intel and AMD are moving in two different directions. On the one hand they are creating newer faster more powerful CPUs. At the same time, they are creating CPUs with as much power as those from a few years ago but that which use 1/5 or less the electrical power. Not that Intel and AMD were waiting for validation of their market strategy from me, but I approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment